Last fall, Yale University Press published Frank Lloyd Wright and San Francisco, by NCCSAH board member Paul Turner. The widely praised book is available at bookstores throughout the Bay Area.
Monday, September 25, NCCSAH will offer tours of two Peninsula properties: the Fleishhacker summer estate, Green Gables, in Woodside, designed by Greene and Greene, and Filoli, the former country estate of William Bourn, today owned by the National Trust.
Lunch will be served at Filoli, following which we will receive a special insiders’ tour of the house and it famous gardens.
Cost for this program, including lunch, is $45 for NCCSAH members, $65 for nonmembers. Nonmembers’ charge includes a one-year NCCSAH membership. More detailed information will appear in the Fall 2017 issues of the newsletter.
Join the NCCSAH for our first Architectural History Film Festival on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 9 AM – 1 PM at the Historic Vogue Theater in San Francisco. Built in 1912, the Vogue celebrated its hundredth birthday last year – it is one of the few single screen neighborhood theaters remaining in the city.
The Vogue Theater is located at 3290 Sacramento Street at Presidio Avenue and it is served by the 1, 3 and 43 Muni lines.
The triple bill includes “A 1906 Trip Down Market Street” narrated by Rick Laubscher, President of the Market Street Railway. Mr. Laubscher will be attending to talk about the film and answer questions. We will then show the two rarely seen, award-winning documentaries about Chicago’s great architects Louis Sullivan and Daniel Burnham who had national influence. The Sullivan film is very accomplished, and was a big hit at an SAH meeting several years ago.
DVDs of the three films will be available for sale at the theater. Admission $15 for members, $ 20 for non-members at the door. Cash only please.
More background on the Historic Vogue Theater:
For more info on a 1906 “Trip Down Market Street” narrated by Rick Laubscher, President of the Market Street Railway
For more info on the Daniel Burnham film Make No Little Plans
For more info on the film Louis Sullivan: the Struggle for American Architecture
The October 12th tour of Mare Island Navy Yard attracted 36 participants, the second largest group ever to attend an NCCSAH program.
The all-day event began with a tour ably led by Mare Island Historic Foundation docent, Barbara Davis. Highlights included the interior of the base commander’s classical revival residence and the craftsman chapel, which houses the largest collection of Tiffany stained glass windows west of the Mississippi.
The group enjoyed a break for a picnic lunch, after which, thanks to arrangements with the tenant, BluHomes, we were permitted to view the interior of one of the yard’s veritable cathedrals of industry, a massive glass-curtain-wall factory building constructed in 1940.
At the conclusion of the organized portion of the day, participants, on their own with a map and brief guide, were able to survey numerous other structures, representative of the yard’s periods of significance, dating from 1856 through World War II. The wealth of historic resources surprised most attendees, for whom Mare Island was terra incognita.
A hearty thank you to Barbara Davis and to docent Joyce Giles, who with Barbara, early in a planning process that included two reconnaissance visits, patiently answered our questions and helped to ensure a quality experience for all of us.
More information on the tour is included in the Mare Island Tour Newsletter
Photos provided by John Koelsch: www.johnoliverkoelschphotography.com
Learn How to Join Today!